Monday, February 15, 2010

The average person doesn't usually think about disasters when driving down a highway at 70 mph. It just isn't what people are worried about. But I look out at everyone and wonder how I could turn this situation into a disaster. Of course, traffic. I look out to the person next to me. It's a middle aged man, holding his head in between his hands, exhausted. I'm gonna guess he's heading home from his "double life." A pretty little blonde secretary...how cliche. She was great and now he has to go home and lie to his wife and 2 year old son about his day. The reason he's doing this is probably because his wife isn't putting out and it's killing him. He hates the quiet suburban life. But he can't escape. And now that I think about it, it's always the cheating husband to die first in a horror movie. Haha. That's a comforting though. Oh yeah...and the girl who narrates her life is second to go....great.... But enough of that though. I look to the other side and I see an old man intently staring out at the line of lights infront of him. He's probably having a flashback of the past 70 years of his life. His first kiss, the time he served in the war, his first love, his first loss, watching his granddaughter grow up. He clenched his fist and banged on the dashboard..probably not a good thought. This next part was almost surreal.....He opened the door from his beat-up 1978 Ford Fiesta and walked through the miles of traffic.I heard the faint sound of She loves you by The Beatles coming from his car. He got in front of the ongoing rush of cars and lifed his arms and closed his teary eyes and screamed as loud as he could. I closed my eyes and hoped it would all be over soon. But when I opened them, I was standing where he was. And he was in my car, watching and smiling at me. And strangely, I didn't mind being killed. I saw my death as it was hurling toward me as 80 mph. I opened my shaking arms and was ready to let go. Then I woke up in my bed, safe. It was odd, but when I woke up, I could faintly hear that Beatles song coming from outside. I looked out and saw the one man holding a stereo system in the middle of the street. We smiled at each other and I closed the curtains, it was gonna be a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment